PDA

View Full Version : Open Source InnerSpace

bigelectron
08-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Whoa this section of the forum doesn't get a lot of love!

I'm considering the possibility of writing an open source version of InnerSpace after I release E2. In theory there isn't a great deal of difference between the two, with the open inner space project you'd be looking at hooking direct3d functions and exporting the objects that the game is trying to draw. Then the specific extensions(like ISXEVE) will take care of interpreting what those objects mean for that particular game/app and exporting that information through an api that the end programmer can use to write scripts that interact with the game.

Now implementation wise I am sure there will be plenty of differences and I am going to need familiarity with direct3d(of which I have none). And the architecture will probably have to be event oriented as updates in the game data will be coming at you whenever they come and not when you request them, etc.

But I think this is doable, feasible and fun(?). If you can code in c++, have direct3d experience, have previous bot development experience at the graphics library level or any other skills and abilities and would be down for working on this project let me know in this thread.

You will need VS 2008, EVE(the only game I actually have installed) and a github account.

cheers,

bige

civan
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I can't help you do the actual coding, but if you need help, especially with ASM/hooking side of things, feel free to send me a pm. Although for this kind of project I would use IAT hooking which is very straightforward.

bigelectron
08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I might take you up on that

DannyDeranged
08-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I can code in C++, but I'm sitting on 2010 instead of 2008. If anyone has a clean crack available, though, a PM would be wonderful.
(Could possibly set up a server for compilation if we wanted to - but that's something to discuss when the project's got some traction.)
I'll need to grab a github account and pretty much learn everything about graphics libraries, too, but I've managed to learn the ins and outs of Apache's mod_rewrite so I'm not too concerned. Haha.

Can't really say how much free time I'd have available with classes starting up, but I'd love to work on it regardless. I'll make sure I'm idling more consistently in PD's IRC channel so it's easier to get a hold of me.

Carcaradon
08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
If time permits, I can help you with things I can manage. I am experienced in C++ and .Net. I've been programming in python on and off for a year now as well.

bigelectron
08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
That's a lot better response than what I expected. I'm looking at starting in about 1 to 2 weeks from now after I've decided what is to be done with E2 and have that in the hands of the community.
We have a couple of options as far as development goes, I can put up a public(readonly) github project and whenever you guys work on it you can issue pull requests. Or alternatively we can setup an "enterprise" or "corporation" or whatever github calls it so that we can actually assign people to have read/write access to the repo and such. Only problem with option two is that its like $24/month so we'd probably have to pool some $ every month to pay that off since I'm a starving law student.

cheers,

bige

Carcaradon
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Public account works fine for projects like this, no need to pay for it since you really can't be sure of the development time.

bigelectron
08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Public account works fine for projects like this, no need to pay for it since you really can't be sure of the development time.

Right, of course the problem with a public account is that every one is going to have their own fork of the project and if we're all actively developing(like I hope we will be) we're going to have a mess of projects without clear direction of which is supposed to be the main fork.

Username
08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Right, of course the problem with a public account is that every one is going to have their own fork of the project and if we're all actively developing(like I hope we will be) we're going to have a mess of projects without clear direction of which is supposed to be the main fork.

So you're basically looking for some kind of project management software... Seems to me that's something that shouldn't be too hard to find, I'll take a look at what I can find in the next day or so.

Username
08-22-2011, 11:04 PM
So you're basically looking for some kind of project management software... Seems to me that's something that shouldn't be too hard to find, I'll take a look at what I can find in the next day or so.

I've asked around, so far this comes up as "Highly recommended" by some of the people I've talked with (Mostly people that work with commercial/business software projects though, may not apply to the situation at hand):

http://www.projectcards.com/

I'm a little sketchy on the details but it's supposed to be a tool to plan/manage programming projects. I'm not sure if it even applies to your situation at all TBH (Haven't taken much time to look at the program) but regardless there's a full-feature 60 day trial and a limited "Free" version thereafter, They also seem to provide the software for free for academic/open source projects, it might be worth looking into.

Hope that helps... though TBH I'm not sure if it will...

LulzBot
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I might be interested. Not now, I mean, I'm quite busy for the next month, plus my main computer is down, so fuck that.

I'm good enough at C#, using EmguCV, some windows API's. Ive done a bit of C++ and C++/CLI, but really not much, but who cares, its just syntax after all. But im just a student, so im really not as good as you for example, nor close to being :D
Hoping too. im just here for the lulz, so when the time comes, if I can provide some help, I will :).

bigelectron
08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
I've asked around, so far this comes up as "Highly recommended" by some of the people I've talked with (Mostly people that work with commercial/business software projects though, may not apply to the situation at hand):

http://www.projectcards.com/

I'm a little sketchy on the details but it's supposed to be a tool to plan/manage programming projects. I'm not sure if it even applies to your situation at all TBH (Haven't taken much time to look at the program) but regardless there's a full-feature 60 day trial and a limited "Free" version thereafter, They also seem to provide the software for free for academic/open source projects, it might be worth looking into.

Hope that helps... though TBH I'm not sure if it will...

Thanks for digging up the link dude but I gotta be honest just reading through the product details gives me a headache. I'm going to have to read up on it more at some point

I might be interested. Not now, I mean, I'm quite busy for the next month, plus my main computer is down, so fuck that.

I'm good enough at C#, using EmguCV, some windows API's. Ive done a bit of C++ and C++/CLI, but really not much, but who cares, its just syntax after all. But im just a student, so im really not as good as you for example, nor close to being :D
Hoping too. im just here for the lulz, so when the time comes, if I can provide some help, I will :).

Hey dude, no one is asking for people to be pro, I'm nowhere near as good as you think I am also, its been over 4 years since I last programmed for a living. As long as we're all having fun and getting cool stuff done the more the merrier!

cheers,

bige

LulzBot
08-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but I would hate to fuck up my part. Im quite picky myself when I do stuff, so I imagine experienced programmers are even pickier.

I would actually expect to get shitstormed.

But I also imagine that if you take up the project managment part, and tell us basic sheep devs what to do, we can just do as you say :). (aka, make a good class diagramm and all related UML diagramms, and we just follow them)